Skip to main content

Dan Savage's "It gets Better"

I've been particularly disturbed by the conversation on gay teen suicide. And upset by the gay bashing at the Stonewall Inn. And while I have no clear details about these events, it has me reflecting on the hurt around sexuality during my own shaping years: both what I experienced and how I participated in hurting myself, which formed me, and shapes how I show up at work today.

How I express myself as a gay adult. I've made mistakes myself.

I rarely re-post, however, it first strikes me that Dan Savage is doing some good in reaching out to teens to let them know, "it gets better." Because it inspires, I think, all of us to salve the wounding that happens to us as we grow up. It inspires us to stop bullying each other, and to be more loving and kind as we try to make it: to create the abundance through our work to live rich lives.

And what made me cry was a straight father's comments through a story and a vision that came to him in walking his son:

Jack Baker says,

Some twenty-years ago I was out for a walk with my son, then four years old. We were strolling past the home of an openly gay couple who had just moved in some weeks before. Now my son, being the astute observer of all things in the universe, noticed the two women sitting on the porch were holding hands. “Daddy, why are those ladies holding hands?” My immediate response was “Because they are gay.” I then braced myself for what I expected was going to be a flurry of questions that I really wasn’t prepared for, or for that matter capable of answering to the satisfaction or comprehension of his four-year old mind when he asked me, “Do they love each other?” “Why yes. I’m sure they do” I replied. He looked up at me with a big smile and said, “Then that’s good.” We walked on.

Wouldn’t it be great if we could look at the issue of gay marriage with the simplistic beauty of that four-year old mind? A couple shows up at the Clerk’s office for a Marriage License. They hand over all of the proper forms and fees to the clerk. Like your typical State or County employee, the task at hand isn’t even worthy of his looking up from the racing form he is so diligently studying and he says, “Do you love each other?” The couple replies “Why yes.”


“THEN THAT’S GOOD”

Live well with each other, for good's sake.

Read more on this quote at: http://www3.timeoutny.com/chicago/blog/out-and-about/2010/09/dan-savage-tells-teenagers-that-it-gets-better/#ixzz11XS4eYwS

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

100 Lives in 2023

Legacy -- what I leave behind. Executive Function -- I just looked that up and have a lot more to learn about it. The concept struck me as core to this next chapter of my life that brings together all I've learned so far. Building ability to learn, resilience in the face of terror and disaster, being bendable and shaping while maintaining a spine, having a North Star -- a clear direction, a system of support, and an operating system. Getting regular feedback to dim the echo chamber effect. Regular cadence of reflection time. This is what's required in 2023 and beyond. Cal Newport is correct -- companies have put the full responsibility on each worker to determine how to orchestrate their lives. At the same time, we can work 24 hours--technology allows us to use the same device to wake up and learn what's happening halfway around the globe. Athletes have coaches who share best practices on what to do holistically step by step to optimize their performance on the court or f

Pamela Slim Rocks

Some of us thrive in corporations.  In fact, I'm actively looking forward to joining a company again soon, and contributing to the thriving HR group in their Talent Management (or Learning & Development) function. And, I think companies do incredible good with their profits.  Many theaters, school programs, foundations and other amazing institutions have been majority funded by the surplus revenue of the Fortune 500. I've been reading some interesting books by Gary Vaynerchuk, Tamara Erickson, Dan Schawbel and Pamela Slim. They all seem to get to this crucial point: work in the last couple years is a new deal. As individuals, we need to discover our personal brand, our unique value proposition, the problem we solve for others, and manage our careers. This applies whether we're in large companies, start-ups, or venturing on our own.  In this new world of work, those who fail to do this, are in danger of self-destructing their careers. We are all essentially driving

I make mistakes (and I bounce back)

I hate making mistakes.  I love my luxurious fantasy of perfection.  And today my humanity, my imperfection shone through fiery.  I hung in there and cleaned it up. I've learned, you just tell people you screwed up.  Say how you're going to fix it immediately, and how you're protecting it from happening going forward.  It matters little whether anybody else had anything to do with it.  Throw no one under the bus, however, you may want to bring them in on the effect the error had and get their buy in for the proactive solution for future transactions. Truth is, things move so fast that especially with transactional work, there are bound to be errors now and then.  The time it takes to be perfect would result in paralysis.  It's that magical balance between getting it done (and maybe having to beg forgiveness) and taking so long to deliver that by the time you do deliver, it's too late to be of any use (especially since you've now teed off your colleague by be