Skip to main content

When I Grow Up

Real World Weekend at Colgate is one of my favorite weekends of the year. I get to see some of my favorite people from the Class of 1991. And I spend time with the professors, staff and administrators who most influenced my learning and development at Colgate and after Colgate. I literally grew up and continue to develop as a result of my relationship with alma mater.

People often tell me they have no idea what they want to do when they grow up. I've struggled with that for decades myself.

I'd encourage you to be deliberate about your own career exploration throughout your time at Colgate. As early as your first year, start a career notebook separate from your other notebooks and diaries (if you keep such things), and of course you could store this career journal in a vlog, blog or twitterfeed. Your call.

You are documenting what you enjoy and what feels unnecessarily challenging. For example, I had a really hard time with Statistics, but I was a Math Major. I loved Abstract Algebra. In retrospect, I've learned I'm a man who loves complex ideas, but nuts and bolts is harder for me to get. I love the process and less the bottom line results. I still took Statistics, and I still try my best to balance my finances today, however, that was my lowest grade and finances just still get in my way. My first job was an actuary (I had the right major and aptitude for the job), however, I ran out of that building after an internship and my first year on the job, as if my hair was on fire. I wish I'd followed sooner, what I think I knew at Colgate: that people and ideas were my thing: not numbers and finance and statistics.

Over time, documenting things you find easy, will reveal the disciplines that are a natural fit for you. That will help you define the industry that's best: e.g. Biology lovers might end up in Medicine. Start talking with others: students, professors, parents, people back home, about what responsible people in the world do with those subject areas. What do they do day to day? Would you enjoy that? What associations do they join? What graduate degrees if any do they get? What would they do if they were you now to prepare themselves for a successful career in their company?

Notice as you talk with grown ups that there are different functions in every industry. For example, those who love working with people have different functions than those who prefer ideas. People Biologists might guide patient choices day to day, Idea Biologists might do research and present at conferences.

Also, if you have multiple interests: mine were High Concept Theoretical Math, Modern Theater/Dance, and Philosophy then it's exciting to see where the intersection lands you. My interests led me to a deep concern for other human beings in their careers. An interest in International Politics and Geography might lead you to Global Initiatives around Warming or Green Energy. Ask others what they really value about you and the impact you have on them: tell them you're sorting through your career options and you'd love their thoughts. Make note of what they say and be sure to diversify who you ask. You should end up with an industry or two, and a function. And for kicks, you might add your values and what matters.

Start thinking of location too: city versus rural area, US versus international.

Pick the activities at Colgate and the summer jobs that align with the ideas that most resonate with you.  Colgate is a place to explore what you love doing. Of course, I had to make money for books during the summers, so I sort of went for the money jobs during the summer. However, at Colgate, my club activities and the leadership positions lined up with what my true passions.

Sophomore Fall is a good time to draft your first resume. Take it to the Career Center and start having someone look it over to give you tips on shaping a great format. Learn all about effective bullet points to highlight your experiences. Start gathering the names of alumni and family friends who do what you'd love to do based on interests you've developed. These informational interviews with people who earn their living doing what you love doing for free can help you map out classes that would be good to take, and summer experiences that would be valuable to prepare you for your first entry level job. Aim to have a personal Board of Directors: a few people who are rooting for you to land well after Colgate who you really trust.

Try to have as honest a conversation as you can with your parents or other sponsors of your Colgate education. Looking back, I had a hard time convincing my father that Theater had any relevance or could help sustain my livelihood in the world. In fact, for whatever reason, I never ended up making liveable wages from theater, however, my Colgate stage experiences and what I was able to do with it in the world gave me the skill and comfort to stand in front of employees in Corporate America in sessions today about their careers with ease. As I've learned to have honest, true and respectful conversations with Mom and Dad, I have more powerful conversations with my employers and with key stakeholders in my life. Part of growing up is having hard conversations. If you struggle in this area, reach out to Conant House and get some sessions under your belt to boost your self esteem and gravitas to respectfully get the support you need from your family and loved ones. A life lived close to your passion is a life worth living.

By your senior year, I hope you'll be easily able to list around 10 companies which would be exciting for you. Think about where you'd first love to live and work. Think about size of company, whether you'd prefer a global enterprise or a start up operation, for profit or otherwise, to work with people or ideas or things. Basically, draft your dream first job or learning experience after Colgate and THEN go looking for it. It's so interesting that back when I graduated we'd look at the job listings and try to fit ourselves into them. Now the guidance is first go inside and then look around the world for the matching position.

The clear advantage of a Colgate education is that it can take you almost anywhere. It still tickles me that I can pick almost any company, organization or cause and probably find a Colgate name therein. And that we as an alumni body tend to drift into leadership positions. So dig deep, find your calling, and connect with the wonderful network of 'gaters in the world who are part of your career tribe. We're waiting to welcome you into the Real World. go 'gate.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

100 Lives in 2023

Legacy -- what I leave behind. Executive Function -- I just looked that up and have a lot more to learn about it. The concept struck me as core to this next chapter of my life that brings together all I've learned so far. Building ability to learn, resilience in the face of terror and disaster, being bendable and shaping while maintaining a spine, having a North Star -- a clear direction, a system of support, and an operating system. Getting regular feedback to dim the echo chamber effect. Regular cadence of reflection time. This is what's required in 2023 and beyond. Cal Newport is correct -- companies have put the full responsibility on each worker to determine how to orchestrate their lives. At the same time, we can work 24 hours--technology allows us to use the same device to wake up and learn what's happening halfway around the globe. Athletes have coaches who share best practices on what to do holistically step by step to optimize their performance on the court or f

I make mistakes (and I bounce back)

I hate making mistakes.  I love my luxurious fantasy of perfection.  And today my humanity, my imperfection shone through fiery.  I hung in there and cleaned it up. I've learned, you just tell people you screwed up.  Say how you're going to fix it immediately, and how you're protecting it from happening going forward.  It matters little whether anybody else had anything to do with it.  Throw no one under the bus, however, you may want to bring them in on the effect the error had and get their buy in for the proactive solution for future transactions. Truth is, things move so fast that especially with transactional work, there are bound to be errors now and then.  The time it takes to be perfect would result in paralysis.  It's that magical balance between getting it done (and maybe having to beg forgiveness) and taking so long to deliver that by the time you do deliver, it's too late to be of any use (especially since you've now teed off your colleague by be

Is this thing on?

How to keep this short, sweet, authentic and move this thing forward? How to capture the last couple years? What to say that's not already been said? Life is still a challenge. COVID is still here. More disruption was unveiled. And, writing through this still helps. Had a couple good conversations today; some baubles of note -- 1. Having rooting disciplines is clutch -- e.g. morning meditations, workouts, walks -- ways to help bring the body into the here and now and shake anxiety. Shake off what's unnecessary healthily and sustainably, so what remains is what matters. 2. Doing a walking tour with trusted folks to share ideas -- e.g. starting a new venture; or facing a challenge -- is smart. It grounds speaking on the real topics and opens space for collaboration to the best solution beyond a one brain answer. Diversity of perspective brings depth of vision. 3. Evolution -- give things time. Patience. Though much stays the same [grateful earth still goes around the sun], gi