Skip to main content

goals 2012

After looking back at the year, think about 2012.

I will be guided by "The Power of Less," The Fine Art of Limiting Yourself to the Essential by Leo Babauta.

My goal for 2012 -- to allow myself to enjoy my simply abundant, rich life.

For so many years I suffered from the mythology that I was supposed to earn more, be more, do more, live richer, than I do. I've had painful work experiences out of balance with the rest of my life, debt and dis-ease as a result.

1. There is more and more data to suggest the American Dream is now the American Horror Story if we strive for it without thoughtful self reflection and objectivity. The home outside our means today--that alone has become a simple reminder to reduce our projection of future income, and live on our cash in hand.

2. In America, workers spend some of the lowest number of days away from work of other similar countries, and we typically work more hours. Given the limited number of days per hour, it probably also means we spend proportionately less hours with family, friends, our personal passions, and it probably means we get less sleep.

What if we stopped pulling ourselves up by our bootstraps, on sleep deprivation and debt? What other options might be out there?

I aim to take a year to find out. Ironically, I hypothesize that I'll probably be more effective while doing less. Leo seems to think so too. So let's see. This will be hard for an overachiever, things to do list creator and avid speed demon about checking off the boxes.

To start, I'm going to say, there's no need to lose any weight, or do any of those stereotypical New Year's Resolutions. I go to the gym plenty enough, my weight is fine, and I eat OK. I thought I needed to focus on decluttering: home is neat and clean enough and I'll gradually release the paper piles. They are fine and there's no need for a resolution or deadline. They'll sort out, and people in my life will have to deal with the fact that I need time to hunt things down now and then. It's so easy to say I'm going to stop eating chocolate for a period of time, get a six-pack, train for a race---hooey---I can eat all the chocolate I want, and skip the 5K if I so desire.

In fact, chocolate is one of the most affordable luxuries, and it comes to us in intoxicating and rich variety. The trick is watchfulness, self-awareness and gathering trusted others into conversation about life. I loved the article on tossing out performance reviews altogether because of the anxiety, futility and negative backlash surrounding them. I think, and I'll explore this through 2012, the power lies in the ongoing regular conversations with our sherpas regarding our journey day by day.

I have one personal goal for 2012, and I'll shape work goals with my supervisor. And those work goals will probably fall under the simple personal goal umbrella of: "I allow myself to enjoy my simply abundant, rich life." My family and friends are a critical part of my rich life--they are indeed the core of the richness.

Live well.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

100 Lives in 2023

Legacy -- what I leave behind. Executive Function -- I just looked that up and have a lot more to learn about it. The concept struck me as core to this next chapter of my life that brings together all I've learned so far. Building ability to learn, resilience in the face of terror and disaster, being bendable and shaping while maintaining a spine, having a North Star -- a clear direction, a system of support, and an operating system. Getting regular feedback to dim the echo chamber effect. Regular cadence of reflection time. This is what's required in 2023 and beyond. Cal Newport is correct -- companies have put the full responsibility on each worker to determine how to orchestrate their lives. At the same time, we can work 24 hours--technology allows us to use the same device to wake up and learn what's happening halfway around the globe. Athletes have coaches who share best practices on what to do holistically step by step to optimize their performance on the court or f

I make mistakes (and I bounce back)

I hate making mistakes.  I love my luxurious fantasy of perfection.  And today my humanity, my imperfection shone through fiery.  I hung in there and cleaned it up. I've learned, you just tell people you screwed up.  Say how you're going to fix it immediately, and how you're protecting it from happening going forward.  It matters little whether anybody else had anything to do with it.  Throw no one under the bus, however, you may want to bring them in on the effect the error had and get their buy in for the proactive solution for future transactions. Truth is, things move so fast that especially with transactional work, there are bound to be errors now and then.  The time it takes to be perfect would result in paralysis.  It's that magical balance between getting it done (and maybe having to beg forgiveness) and taking so long to deliver that by the time you do deliver, it's too late to be of any use (especially since you've now teed off your colleague by be

Pamela Slim Rocks

Some of us thrive in corporations.  In fact, I'm actively looking forward to joining a company again soon, and contributing to the thriving HR group in their Talent Management (or Learning & Development) function. And, I think companies do incredible good with their profits.  Many theaters, school programs, foundations and other amazing institutions have been majority funded by the surplus revenue of the Fortune 500. I've been reading some interesting books by Gary Vaynerchuk, Tamara Erickson, Dan Schawbel and Pamela Slim. They all seem to get to this crucial point: work in the last couple years is a new deal. As individuals, we need to discover our personal brand, our unique value proposition, the problem we solve for others, and manage our careers. This applies whether we're in large companies, start-ups, or venturing on our own.  In this new world of work, those who fail to do this, are in danger of self-destructing their careers. We are all essentially driving