Skip to main content

Jealousy is a Map

A guy I know just got profiled in the New York Times for his entrepreneurial work.

A guy I know had his wedding in Central Park with swans.

A woman I know has been travelling across the country singing her songs.

My supervisors have been just a year or two older, once even YOUNGER, and had titles often 3-4 levels above mine and made sometimes ten times what I made.

And I'm jealous.

Jealousy is a map.  It points us to our true north, telling us what we want in our lives and highlights the gap between where we are now and where we want to be.  Investigate what the jealousy is. 

For me: do I want to have an article written about my work?  Do I want a greater income level so that I can celebrate the events in my life abundantly?  Do I want a deep committed relationship with an amazing man and a public celebration?  Do I want to travel and earn income from my creations?

What can I do today to move in that direction, from where I am now?  Maybe I can even outline some successes I already have that serve as a platform for the life I want in the future?  In fact, someone IS thinking about writing an article about my work.  I do have a clear vision about what I want to earn and I AM taking actions.  I dated towards a committed relationship and am open to more wonderful dates that lead to one relationship we'll both enjoy and treasure for many years.

So I can just celebrate when the good things happen for others.  And I can continue to take action.  There.  Back to work.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

100 Lives in 2023

Legacy -- what I leave behind. Executive Function -- I just looked that up and have a lot more to learn about it. The concept struck me as core to this next chapter of my life that brings together all I've learned so far. Building ability to learn, resilience in the face of terror and disaster, being bendable and shaping while maintaining a spine, having a North Star -- a clear direction, a system of support, and an operating system. Getting regular feedback to dim the echo chamber effect. Regular cadence of reflection time. This is what's required in 2023 and beyond. Cal Newport is correct -- companies have put the full responsibility on each worker to determine how to orchestrate their lives. At the same time, we can work 24 hours--technology allows us to use the same device to wake up and learn what's happening halfway around the globe. Athletes have coaches who share best practices on what to do holistically step by step to optimize their performance on the court or f

I make mistakes (and I bounce back)

I hate making mistakes.  I love my luxurious fantasy of perfection.  And today my humanity, my imperfection shone through fiery.  I hung in there and cleaned it up. I've learned, you just tell people you screwed up.  Say how you're going to fix it immediately, and how you're protecting it from happening going forward.  It matters little whether anybody else had anything to do with it.  Throw no one under the bus, however, you may want to bring them in on the effect the error had and get their buy in for the proactive solution for future transactions. Truth is, things move so fast that especially with transactional work, there are bound to be errors now and then.  The time it takes to be perfect would result in paralysis.  It's that magical balance between getting it done (and maybe having to beg forgiveness) and taking so long to deliver that by the time you do deliver, it's too late to be of any use (especially since you've now teed off your colleague by be

Is this thing on?

How to keep this short, sweet, authentic and move this thing forward? How to capture the last couple years? What to say that's not already been said? Life is still a challenge. COVID is still here. More disruption was unveiled. And, writing through this still helps. Had a couple good conversations today; some baubles of note -- 1. Having rooting disciplines is clutch -- e.g. morning meditations, workouts, walks -- ways to help bring the body into the here and now and shake anxiety. Shake off what's unnecessary healthily and sustainably, so what remains is what matters. 2. Doing a walking tour with trusted folks to share ideas -- e.g. starting a new venture; or facing a challenge -- is smart. It grounds speaking on the real topics and opens space for collaboration to the best solution beyond a one brain answer. Diversity of perspective brings depth of vision. 3. Evolution -- give things time. Patience. Though much stays the same [grateful earth still goes around the sun], gi