Skip to main content

Take What You Like & Leave The Rest

I believe (now) that we human beings are mutually dependent.  They say none of us are islands.  I've heard "six degrees of separation" and the "butterfly effect."

Living in NYC, we try so hard sometimes, maybe because it would be impossible to admit our connection to each other 5,000 times a day (if you run through Times Square as many times as I do a day.)  In rural Jamaica where I grew up we said hello each time we passed someone on the street.  And up in rural New York State where I went to college we had a "hello" tradition: we said hello to everyone we passed in the neighborhood.

Whether we acknowledge who we pass by out of politeness or a sense of true brotherhood, whether we culturally rush by heads down, we are all connected.  Remind yourself of that if you feel a drift into a sense of one against the world.

Yesterday was humbling as I opened up some more to those who love me; and those I love.  I told them I was afraid of ending up homeless eating out of garbage cans like I see some of my African-American brothers doing.  And I told people that the news was unhelpful, since it scared me with morbid statistics of what might happen to me in my job hunt.

And they treated me to lunch and dinner.

And I redoubled my efforts, and worked smarter instead of harder because I want to repay the kindness or at least pay them forward.  I am supported by some really loving friends and people I've helped in the past.  But most poignantly, I realize that often I've pushed forward, self-interest top of mind, and blown past a fellow human being rushing towards some achievement, forgetting we're all in this together.  And I've blown off friends and people who love me, to get there.  There's no there there...just here, and now and love.

So on my remaining job hunt, and in my new job, and as I coach others, I want to remember to pause and say thank you to those who champion and support me.  And to do that, now and then, regularly and forever, as long as I breathe.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

100 Lives in 2023

Legacy -- what I leave behind. Executive Function -- I just looked that up and have a lot more to learn about it. The concept struck me as core to this next chapter of my life that brings together all I've learned so far. Building ability to learn, resilience in the face of terror and disaster, being bendable and shaping while maintaining a spine, having a North Star -- a clear direction, a system of support, and an operating system. Getting regular feedback to dim the echo chamber effect. Regular cadence of reflection time. This is what's required in 2023 and beyond. Cal Newport is correct -- companies have put the full responsibility on each worker to determine how to orchestrate their lives. At the same time, we can work 24 hours--technology allows us to use the same device to wake up and learn what's happening halfway around the globe. Athletes have coaches who share best practices on what to do holistically step by step to optimize their performance on the court or f

I make mistakes (and I bounce back)

I hate making mistakes.  I love my luxurious fantasy of perfection.  And today my humanity, my imperfection shone through fiery.  I hung in there and cleaned it up. I've learned, you just tell people you screwed up.  Say how you're going to fix it immediately, and how you're protecting it from happening going forward.  It matters little whether anybody else had anything to do with it.  Throw no one under the bus, however, you may want to bring them in on the effect the error had and get their buy in for the proactive solution for future transactions. Truth is, things move so fast that especially with transactional work, there are bound to be errors now and then.  The time it takes to be perfect would result in paralysis.  It's that magical balance between getting it done (and maybe having to beg forgiveness) and taking so long to deliver that by the time you do deliver, it's too late to be of any use (especially since you've now teed off your colleague by be

Pamela Slim Rocks

Some of us thrive in corporations.  In fact, I'm actively looking forward to joining a company again soon, and contributing to the thriving HR group in their Talent Management (or Learning & Development) function. And, I think companies do incredible good with their profits.  Many theaters, school programs, foundations and other amazing institutions have been majority funded by the surplus revenue of the Fortune 500. I've been reading some interesting books by Gary Vaynerchuk, Tamara Erickson, Dan Schawbel and Pamela Slim. They all seem to get to this crucial point: work in the last couple years is a new deal. As individuals, we need to discover our personal brand, our unique value proposition, the problem we solve for others, and manage our careers. This applies whether we're in large companies, start-ups, or venturing on our own.  In this new world of work, those who fail to do this, are in danger of self-destructing their careers. We are all essentially driving